RARA-AVIS: 87th precinct

From: Carrie Pruett ( pruettc@hotmail.com)
Date: 25 Oct 2001

I wonder if the 87th precinct is a case where the author's innovations have become so assimilated into our idea of the police procedural that we don't even appreciate them for what they are (sort of like the proverbial student who complained that Hamlet was unoriginal because the characters used so many familiar expressions). I've read one McBain book (Hail Hail the Gang's all here) and though I thought it was fine, I don't feel the need to rush out and get a lot more. If you've seen enough "Hill Street Blues" or
"Homicide" ("Law & Order" less so because of the single case, start to finish approach) or really any type of ensemble episodic television (a lot of the doctor and lawyer shows fit the mold as well as the cop shows) you pretty much know what to expect.

Actually, "Homicide" is based on a true-crime book that itself reads more than a bit like an 87th precinct novel.

Carrie