Re: RARA-AVIS: An ignoramus enquires....

From: Mario Taboada ( matrxtech@yahoo.com)
Date: 24 Oct 2001

Marianne:

Salvatore Lombino's writing has grown on me over the years. He's not flashy, but he's a fine storyteller. He had the luck (also the talent) to have a huge mainstream best-seller in The Blackboard Jungle, one of the great novels from the fifties, which I highly recommend. This, and other mainstream fiction, was written under the Evan Hunter pen name. Later, he changed his legal name to Hunter, for reasons that don't matter to me one way or the other.

As to the Precinct series, it is a continuum that I cannot break into its individual components. In a sense, they are all the same, but then, so do a lot of Mozart's works sound the same, without detriment to the listener's enjoyment
(unless you take in too large of a dose in one sitting).

As mentioned, Lombino's short stories are really good, with a lot of variety of plot, characters and locales.

It's hard to judge such a prolific writer, but if I were you, I wouldn't give up on him without trying The Blackboard Jungle and the short stories first.

Regards,

MrT

=====