RARA-AVIS: Recently read San Francisco books

From: M Blumenthal ( blumenidiot@21stcentury.net)
Date: 19 Oct 2001

I read a couple of books by San Francisco based authors:

MENACED ASSASIN - This is a strange book written by Joe Gores. It is about a San Francisco cop trying to catch a serial killer. I really liked it, but I'm not sure it works as a hard boiled book because a good portion of the book is a lecture about the evolution of man and his character by the husband of the woman who is the first to be killed. I've read almost all of Gores' novels. Only this reminds me a lot of Interface.

STATE'S EVIDENCE - This is a John Marshall Tanner book by Stephen Greenleaf. I read this for a San Francisco setting, but except for a fire set in the store of Tanner's landlord, all the action takes place in a fictitious suburb. The landlord is a stereotypical gay and the plot is Ross MacDonald light with an unbelievable ending. I read his Death Bed several years ago which I thought was fairly good and much better than this.

Most of our recent discussion about the City has been about a walking tour rather than its fiction.I've been thinking that San Francisco, with its hills, fog, great bay and the Golden Gate Bridge, may be a more appealling cinematic location than a literary one. Mark .