Re: RARA-AVIS: uk presses

From: Scatalogic@aol.com
Date: 18 Oct 2001

In a message dated 18/10/01 17:55:13 GMT Daylight Time, rpreston@juniper.net writes:

<< Do Not Press, Payback Press and Mask Noir/Serpeants Tail.

All UK hardboiled presses, well do a lot of hb stuff.

I have in my hand.

Charles Willeford Omnibus from No Exit - Pick up, the burnt orange conspiracy and Cockfighter for the bargain price of £9.99, luverley. THey do reprints and new fiction, Robbers by Cook was No Exit in the UK. www.noexit.co.uk

Serpeants Tail are www.serpeantstail.com and also do reissues and new stuff, Mask Noir and Midnight Classics are series of theirs.

Payback press "an imprint of cannongate books" who must have a website somewhere. Payback do black fiction inc Chester Himes.

I am not 100% but I think that the Do not press are an offshoot or imprint of the No Exit Press. All of the above seem to have excellent lists and classy, classic cover designs, why they sell poorly enough to be remaindered so often is a mystery, a sadness and a bonus.

Yrs Skintly Colin