RARA-AVIS: Dashiell Hammett Tour

From: Rob Preston ( rpreston@juniper.net)
Date: 16 Oct 2001

Gents, thanks for the info/reminder on the tour dates in October, I needed something to do this weekend, potentially to take a young lady, and this fits perfectly.

I haven't taken the tour in about 5 years but it is very entertaining. Herron is a character in himself and if you know anything about Hammett and the sites mentioned, it makes the walk that much better. If you have a good group they will like what you have to say as much as Herron's spiel. Just don't bee too chatty because it can interrupt the flow of his narrative.

Mark, the books you mention having purchased are very early editions and have been much revised and reprinted by City Lights Books. I've only seen the Dawn Heron Press versions in Don's own collection. They look pretty quaint compared to later editions. Rob