RARA-AVIS: Recent Acquisitions

From: George Upper ( gcupper3@yahoo.com)
Date: 15 Oct 2001

In a recent visit to Second Look Books and the annual Friends of the Library book sale in the thriving metropolis of Plainville, Mass., (right next door to Second Look Books) I picked up a few books for a whopping $30.75. Some of them I'm familiar with, but I thought I'd see if anyone particularly recommends putting any of the following either near the top or near the bottom of the TBR pile:

Leonard's GET SHORTY. I've never read Leonard; is this a good place to start?

Ross MacDonald's BLACK MONEY in a book club edition hardcover. I don't know why I don't already own this in paperback; in fact, oddly enough, I can't ever remember having heard the title before. Also FIND A VICTIM and the 1953 MEET ME AT THE MORGUE by "John Ross MacDonald"; I've never seen him use all three names before. Incidentally, re this last title, it lists two 1953 editions and then says: "Pocket Book edition published October, 1954 / 1st printing......August, 1954". This seems contradictory to me. Can someone more familiar with the industry than I explain why the first printing would occur prior to publication? Does this mean the book was printed in August and shipped in October?

Cain's THREE OF A KIND (in what may or may not be a 1st edition hardcover--for 50 cents, no less). Also MILDRED PIERCE, LOVE'S LOVELY COUNTERFEIT and THE BUTTERFLY by Cain.

MAN ON A ROPE and MURDER ON THEIR MINDS by the always reliable George Harmon Coxe. (The latter is set in Boston, so I'll try to have it read in time for the Boston discussion.)

I picked up a few others, including the Robert B. Parker western GUNMAN'S RHAPSODY. Anyone planning to read this book should rent Tombstone with Val Kilmer and Kurt Russell instead.

G.

===== George C. Upper III, Editor The Lightning Bell Poetry Journal http://www.lightningbell.org/