Re: RARA-AVIS: RE: The Jugger

From: Juri Nummelin ( jurnum@utu.fi)
Date: 10 Oct 2001

On Tue, 9 Oct 2001, Dick Lochte wrote:

> Not to confuse the issue about Westlake's statement re "The Jugger," or
> maybe to confuse it, there's another reason he might be inclined to
> think less of it. I believe that's the book that Jean Luc-Godard ripped
> off and turned into the movie "Made in USA," causing the author a great
> deal of legal and financial annoyance. On the other hand, he still seems
> amused that Parker has been played by white guys, a black guy and (in
> "Made") a woman.

Hasn't Westlake bought the US rights to "Made in USA" and forbidden its screenings there? Godard's film is one of his most annoying films and clearly one of his most postmodernist. Anna Karina is Parker and Jean-Paul Belmondo plays a writer called David Goodis. Jean-Pierre Leaud reads a W.R. Burnett novel.

Juri