RARA-AVIS: Gores' Dead Man

From: William Denton ( buff@pobox.com)
Date: 09 Oct 2001

I had a Joe Gores book on the shelf that I hadn't read: DEAD MAN, about a man whose family is gunned down and who himself is left for dead. He recovers, gets tough, and goes out for revenge on whoever was responsible. It starts in San Francisco, which is why I thought it'd be apropos, but soon moves to Chicago and then New Orleans.

There was some talk about this book on the list a while before. I think folks said it wasn't Gores' best, and I'd agree. I may just drop it. He switches narrative focus a fair bit, and not in that percolating way he has in the DKA books. It's in the INTERFACE vein, according to the back cover (and INTERFACE is damned good), but I'd say it's got too many cliched movie script techniques.

Bill