Re: RARA-AVIS: Stark Jugger

From: M Blumenthal ( blumenidiot@21stcentury.net)
Date: 09 Oct 2001

From: <Mbdlevin:

. I might sound like a lunatic for countering Westlake here,
> but he's written a lot of books, and many writers can't remember works
from
> long back (when was the interview given?). It could be that Westlake
didn't
> remember the book going well, or felt he had to trump up the plot line to
> meet a deadline or some such. Regardless, I didn't feel that the book was
> "spoiled."

Doug - The url of the article is

http://www.weeklywire.com/WW/12-29-97/austin_books_feature1.html

I don't think you can argue with an author saying something was not in character for someone he has created. If he had been writing a James Bond novel or the like you could say that, but he is God for anybody he alone created. Sure, he might forget about a minor character --. we have already noted he brought back Ed Mackey from the dead--but he has written about twenty books with Parker as the protagonist. . If he feels the reasons he gave for Parker going to help Joe Sheer couldn't hold up, even if he doesn't remember the details, he has to be correct. Mark