RARA-AVIS: The City -- San Francisco

From: Mbdlevin@aol.com
Date: 05 Oct 2001

As a youth in the San Francisco Bay Area, I was told by some local historian that calling San Francisco "The City" went back quite a ways (Gold Rush?), when San Francisco was, I am led to understand, the only substantial west coast city. Presumably you could be anywhere in California, but also in Nevada, parts of the Southwest, the Northwest, and so forth, and say, "I'm traveling to the City," and people knew you were headed to San Francisco. Doug