RARA-AVIS: Lohs Ain-guh-leez

From: Carrie Pruett ( pruettc@hotmail.com)
Date: 04 Oct 2001

The discussion of "Frisco" brings to mind a question about a different Cali. city - in some older movies, including I think the Big Sleep, I've heard Los Angeles pronounced something approximating Lohs AIN-guh- Leez (that is, long o, long a, hard g, long e, stress on the "AIN"). Otherwise, I've universally heard Lahs ANN-je-less (like the girl's name Angela with an "ss" on the end) (or much more commonly, of course, L.A.) Obviously, neither of these is the "correct" Spanish pronunciation, but anyway - how are you
"supposed to" say it? The ubiquity of "L.A." probably makes the whole thing moot, but is the Angle-eez still in use, or was it a function of east coast actors maladjusting to the west?