Re: RARA-AVIS: San Francisco

From: M Blumenthal ( blumenidiot@21stcentury.net)
Date: 02 Oct 2001

Jim Beaver:

> As to Bogart's Spade mailing a letter addressed "City" instead of "San
> Francisco," I recall that as being common practice in many cities and
towns
> in olden days. I believe the practice drew on the presumption that a
letter
> mailed thusly would be delivered within the bounds of the city in which it
> was mailed. In Dallas in the Fifties, we used to get mail addressed to
our
> street address, "City." Obviously not something to do if you're writing
> someone in another "city."

I asked my mother who is almost ninety about this. My wife is from Milwaukee. We all remember being able to send something locally by just putting the street address on the envelope. . None of us remember putting
'City' If John Houston were aware of San Francisco being called the 'City' as Rob says it makes sense. As I was not aware of this it struck me odd. Mark