Re: RARA-AVIS: San Francisco

From: Jim Beaver ( jumblejim@prodigy.net)
Date: 02 Oct 2001

Oklahoma City is also known as "The City" to people in it, and in fact, in the whole state. A hundred miles away, in Tulsa, if you say you're going to The City, people know you mean OKC.

As to Bogart's Spade mailing a letter addressed "City" instead of "San Francisco," I recall that as being common practice in many cities and towns in olden days. I believe the practice drew on the presumption that a letter mailed thusly would be delivered within the bounds of the city in which it was mailed. In Dallas in the Fifties, we used to get mail addressed to our street address, "City." Obviously not something to do if you're writing to someone in another "city."

Jim Beaver

> Having lived in the Bay Area for 10 years (in the suburbs, Fremont), San
> Francisco is basically just known as "The City". If you say that, everyone
> knows what you are talking about, there is no other City, and no
possibility
> of their being another one to bay area inhabitants. If you say "San Fran"
> and you sound like a dork. "South City" is term I heard a lot in the past
as
> South San Francisco is basically a totally different place.
> I've been to a lot of cities but I have never encountered a place like
S.F.