RARA-AVIS: Mr. Jean Francis Webb

From: Jiro Kimura ( jkimura@nsknet.or.jp)
Date: 02 Oct 2001

Well, Jean is a he. I know because I knew him before he passed away.

If you have some doubt, get a copy of HARD-BOILDED DAMES (St. Martin's, 1986) edited by Bernard Drew with Preface by Marcia Muller. The anthology has "stories featuring women detectives, reporters, adventurers, and crimnals from the pulp fiction magazines of the 1930s," with "Hit the Baby" by Roswell Brown, first printed in the February 15, 1936 issue of The Shadow Magazine.

Drew's introduction says, "Grace 'Redsie' Culver appeared in twenty stories in the magazine form 1934 to '37. They were written under the 'Roswell Brown' house name by Jean Francis Webb (b. 1910), who also contributed stories under his own name in the categories of mystery, romance, history, and advanture. He wrote the dayly radio stories for 'Chick Carter, Boy Detective' from 1944-45."

I hope you have noticed that I used "he" and "his."

Jiro Kimra