RARA-AVIS: Jean's sex or gender

From: Juri Nummelin ( jurnum@utu.fi)
Date: 02 Oct 2001

On Mon, 1 Oct 2001 marianne.macdonald@lineone.net wrote:

> Jean is English feminine or French masculine.
> Francis is the masculine spelling (Frances is f) unless it is a family
> surname which is spelled with the i - and why shouldn't it be?.
> Webb is...
> ...going to remain a little ambiguous, unless somebody knows how to find
> the facts.

I like a little ambiguity myself... Oh God, it seems to be early morning. I sent a message to both PulpMags and Fictionmags groups, where they should know, but for some reason my message hasn't gone through. So I know nothing more about Jean.

Bill, do you consider this off-topic? I don't know whether Webb really wrote anything hardboiled. I have a vague feeling that he/she is in Nick Carr's "Other Pulp Detective Heroes", but I can't check right now.

Juri