RARA-AVIS: Re: Parker's Dialogue

From: Gerald So ( gso@optonline.net)
Date: 01 Oct 2001

George Upper wrote:

> one of the books...tells the story of their meeting in a fight...

The book was PASTIME (1991).

> Parker has retained, I think, the ability to write good dialogue with > these kinds of characters--just not Spenser (who serves as little more > than a straight man half the time in POTSHOT).

IMO, Parker's dialogue with any of his hardcases (some of whom you listed) has become essentially the same, reiterating his themes of autonomy and true toughness vs. show. Gathering seven evolved thugs for POTSHOT only makes the sameness more obvious.

Parker's reshuffled shtick is his own fault for creating so many Hawk stand-ins over the years (Vinnie Morris, Chollo, Bobby Horse, Tedy Sapp, Spike). I think his dependence on the acceptable hero/dark partner formula came before his digging for interest with Spenser.

Gerald