Re: RARA-AVIS: Touch of Evil

From: Philip Benz ( Philip.Benz@wanadoo.fr)
Date: 01 Oct 2001

Mark Sullivan wrote:
> Which version of Touch of Evil will you be using? The original release
> or the one from a couple of years ago which was recut based on a memo
> from Welles?

I'm well aware of the differences in version, but perplexed on availability. I wanted to get the DVD of the recut, but it's only available in zone 1 (US). I finally got my hands on a VHS of the original, but I believe those of my students participating in the
"Lyc饮s au Cin魡" project will be seeing the recut.

From the descriptions of the recut I've read, the overall impression left by the film won't be that much different, but I'll have to wait until I can see it to really judge.

FWIW, I really hate all this nonsense about DVD zones. For those of us outside the US, it's a real boon to be able to get films and see them in English, but when it comes to old classics or other low-volume distribution items, it's going to be quite a wait.

Cheers, --- Phil Lyc饠Astier, Aubenas, France