Re: RARA-AVIS: Touch of Evil

From: Philip Benz ( Philip.Benz@wanadoo.fr)
Date: 30 Sep 2001

southpaw wrote:
> Touch Of Evil (1998 Director's Cut)

Touch of Evil is such a bizarre film, I just recently clapped eyes on it for the first time, and still don't quite know what to think of it. It's the only really interesting film on the docket for this year's national "Lyc饮s au Cin魡" project, so I not only plan to do something with it in class with my students, but also create some web-based activities for them. Offhand, the clearest approach would be to work on character descriptions: Dennis Weaver's night clerk is a strange-o on steroids, and Welles' hugeness and nastiness is almost beyond belief.

I guess I'm bringing it up here because I'm fishing around for other approaches I might use. I've thought of trying to exploit the organized crime angle, the police corruption angle and the loyalty-betrayal theme in the partner-angle (a nice contrast with Spade's posthumous partner loyalty) but right now I'm running on empty. Ideas?

FWIW I teach English in a French lyc饬 and most of my students are 16-18 year old tech-oriented boys.

Cheers, --- Phil Lyc饠Astier, Aubenas, France