Re: RARA-AVIS: the black ice

From: M Blumenthal ( blumenidiot@21stcentury.net)
Date: 29 Sep 2001

Carrie asked,

> So - can you come up with any books where the author takes the detective
out
> of his/her "natural habitat" and really succeeds at it? I think Lehane
> does a pretty good job with the Florida scenes in "Sacred," though overall
> it's probably his weakest book. Others?

Carrie, I have read that Parker's third Spenser book, THE JUDAS GOAT, was the one that really made the series. In it Spenser and Hawk go to Great Britain, Denmark, Holland, and Canada in find nine bombers who killed the client's family.and either bring them to justice or kill them. I think it differerentiated Spenser along with Hawk from the routine detectives in series. It established the formula of the detective who had a ruthless associate who would be there when most needed. that inspired Crais, Lehane, Coben and others. Mark