Re: RARA-AVIS: female pioneers

From: Cristoforo ( Cristoforo@mediaone.net)
Date: 26 Sep 2001

I still can't figure out how she does it, but I think Highsmith is able to heighten tension instead of diminish it through the bland and inconsequential habits of Ripley. (and her other protagonists) Maybe it's the waiting, knowing the ax is going to fall. And although I find it maddening at times, I think it works superbly well.

 Like all her books, not hard-boiled, but definately noir. And very macabre. For a taste, try her short story collection "Eleven". Excellent.

Brad

> I'm not sure if she actually wrote any detective stories but Patricia
> Highsmith seems like a candidate. Didn't she write the story "Strangers
on
> a Train" was based on? I've only read one Highsmith ("Talented Mr.
Ripley")