RARA-AVIS: female pioneers

From: Carrie Pruett ( pruettc@hotmail.com)
Date: 26 Sep 2001

>Anyway, I'm interested in earlier woman h-b
>writers--the true female pioneers in the field, so to
>speak. Any suggestions on who I might seek out as
>belonging to this group?

>G.

I'm not sure if she actually wrote any detective stories but Patricia Highsmith seems like a candidate. Didn't she write the story "Strangers on a Train" was based on? I've only read one Highsmith ("Talented Mr. Ripley") and I despised it (not because Ripley was bad but because I found him insanely dull), but she obviously has many devotees.

Carrie