RARA-AVIS: RE: Pelecanos interview at The Onion

From: Duane Spurlock ( duane@emazing.com)
Date: 24 Sep 2001

 William Denton < buff@pobox.com> wrote:

<< The Onion's A.V. Club has a new interview with Mr. Pelecanos:

         http://www.theonionavclub.com/avclub3733/bonusfeature1_3733.html

This is a nicely done, concise interview that hits the high points. I've seen longer interviews that meandered and covered less worthwhile territory.

Is Mr. Pelecanos still a member of this mailing list?

I liked this statement: "None of that 'we don't have any racial problems here' attitude that you get, say, up north." Unlike the talking heads and politicians we frequently see on TV, we finally see someone -- a DC native -- who clearly states that Washington is a southern city. Usually the attitude that's suggested about Washington by the media is that it's neither southern nor northern, that it sort of exists separate from such distinctions because it is the capitol of the country. But the real city is a southern town. Yet it has all these northern elements -- the great immigrant population, for example, which we popularly associate with northern cities -- and lots of power brokering. These two elements are certainly as big a part of the U.S. South as the North these days.

Still, the way all these disparate -- and sometimes desperate -- elements come together in DC are part of what makes Mr. Pelecanos' books work so well.
-- Duane