RARA-AVIS: Wade Miller

From: Paul Sowle ( ambrosehunter@yahoo.com)
Date: 20 Sep 2001

In the spirit of our recent discussion of Wade Miller, I picked out an old Gold Medal of theirs to read. THE BIG GUY, from January 1953, concerns the rise and fall of Los Angeles crime boss Joseph Drum. This guy is hard-boiled and so is the story, which includes all the classic elements of the best Gold Medals.

It begins like this:

"Joe Drum glanced dispassionately at the blood on his knuckles. It was not his own blood."

A fun book that can be added to the many Wade Miller novels that I highly recommend. I'm sure some folks would view this one as nothing but trash. These folks probably don't read many Gold Medals anyway, though.

Andrew

__________________________________________________ Terrorist Attacks on U.S. - How can you help? Donate cash, emergency relief information http://dailynews.yahoo.com/fc/US/Emergency_Information/