Re: RARA-AVIS: RE: Lounge Music and Sinatra movie

From: Mark Sullivan ( DJ-Anonyme@webtv.net)
Date: 20 Sep 2001

Dick wrote:

"Amen. Ditto the Peter Gunn theme, the James Bond theme, etc. etc. Because of comments on the list I checked out several Barry Adamson cuts and can't see much there. The ideas are sort of interesting, but sampling or rearranging or whatever he's doing to the original music strikes me as tampering, not creating."

While I do think sampling can be art (unfortunately, more in principal than in most people's practice), I understand your point, especially when it comes to Adamson. Even a fan like myself has to admit that he does sometimes have a tendency to be too cutesy, especially on his covers. And it increases as his career goes along. This is why I recommended his first, Moss Side Story. This was a very early entry in the "soundtrack for a film that doesn't exist" category. It's got a nice, noir feel. And the covers here were not part of the original album. The already mentioned Man with a Golden Arm and Alfred Hitchcock Presents were "extra CD tracks," from an EP he put out around the same time.

However, if you find his cover songs overdone, you should definitely avoid his writing. I only made it through a few paragraphs of his short story The Big Bamboozled (in Purr Magazine). Not that it would make it any more readable, I can only hope it was meant as parody.

Mark