Re: RARA-AVIS: RE Shamus/Bouchercon

From: Scatalogic@aol.com
Date: 20 Sep 2001

Found robbers some time ago in a discount book store and I think plugged it on the list. It's superb, buy and read. Definitely noir. Another of my recent favourites, Run, dispensed with quotation marks and I find it annoying (but obviously didn't really hinder my enjoyment of these two). Does anyone out there have any idea of why it's being done? - I assume now we will see a rash of no quote books, is it at the author's suggestion or some publisher policy? I can't really see how the nano-second spent registering a quotation mark can slow down the pace of a book (I found Robbers a quick read as well). Do I detect the dread hand of designers here? The story is sleek so the pages must be sleek and uncluttered as well.
"Thanks all and take care," said Colin the Rara Avian