Re: RARA-AVIS: Rara Avis (OT)

From: William Denton ( buff@pobox.com)
Date: 19 Sep 2001

On 19 September 2001, M Blumenthal wrote:

: rara avis (RAR-uh AY-vis) noun, plural rarae aves (RAR-ee AY-veez)
:
: A rare person or thing.

Hey, neat. I'll remind people that it was Mr. Duggan who suggested the name, and as you probably all know without me saying again, it's from THE MALTESE FALCON: Gutman's parting words are "And to you, Miss O'Shaughnessy, adieu. I leave you the rara avis on the table as a little memento." That imbecile! That bloated idiot!

Bill