RARA-AVIS: Wade Miller in the AACR

From: William Denton ( buff@pobox.com)
Date: 18 Sep 2001

I'm back at school, part-time, doing a degree in information studies (what used to be called library science). Today I was given a copy of the Anglo-American Cataloguing Rules, a thick book full of some of the most detailed rules I've ever seen. It's a complete guidebook for how to describe a book (or sound recording, map, serial, or in fact anything that exists) and then make that useful (like in a library catalogue). Mr. Nevins and Ms. Theis (and perhaps others on the list) are professionals in the field and probably know the AACR inside and out.

I was browsing through it and came across mention of a relatively obscure writer we know about:

| 21.6D1 If two or more persons collaborate and use a single pseudonym,
| use the pseudonym as the heading for a work produced by their
| collaboration. Refer to the pseudonym from their names.
|
| Deadly weapon / Wade Miller
| (Wade Miller is the joint pseudonym of Bill Miller and Bob Wade)
| Main entry under the pseudonym
| References to the pseydonym from the headings for Miller and Wade

Library students all over the world, when checking how to catalogue a book written under a joint pseudonym, will see Wade Miller as as the first example.

Bill