RARA-AVIS: recent reading: Pelecanos

From: Carrie Pruett ( pruettc@hotmail.com)
Date: 17 Sep 2001

Two by Mr. Pelecanos:

>A FIRING OFFENSE (1992): His first, and the first of the three Nick
>Stefanos books. It's interesting reading these after the later books and
>seeing how Nick's life ties in to SHAME THE DEVIL and the others. Mr.
>Pelecanos is getting better and better, of course, but that's not to >say
>this isn't good.

I actually enjoyed this more than the later books, at least the ones I've read so far. I like them all, but the first person voice, the details of life on the sales floor (I've found it infinitely more helpful than consumer reports, in a "know thy enemy" sense), and the "drifting" feel of the whole thing really set it apart. The "mystery" plot is a little thin (it's actually a pretty good plot, it just takes up a fairly small portion of the book), but the characterization and the feel of the whole thing blew me away. (Doesn't hurt that part of it is set in Wrightsville Beach, NC, where I've spent a few drunk lazy summer nights of my own. And I love the bits where Johnny and Nick are hopping the trains. I put some Tom Waits on, read this, and forgot I was a white professional female from the suburbs who has abused very few substances and feels uneasy even *walking* on train tracks
('cause it's against the law you know). Now that's good writing.

I even passed this one on to my brother, who never reads mysteries (well, depending on your view of whether Terry Pratchett's "Watch" books count) - who has since gone on to a job in electronics sales, not exactly sure what that implies.