Re: RARA-AVIS: Janwillem Van De Wetering

From: Scatalogic@aol.com
Date: 14 Sep 2001

In a message dated 14/09/01 00:40:09 GMT Daylight Time, matrxtech@yahoo.com writes:

<<
 We need a name for this kind of fiction that watches life
 dispassionately and avoids heroes and heroism entirely. I
 half-heartedly propose the adjective "Simenonal" or
 "Simenonic". It could be called "existentialist", but the
 term has lost its punch, unfortunately.

I would go along with Simenonesque, or maybe Raymondish (I think Derek Raymond has a similarly dispassionate view of the horrors he sees). Does Simenon have much of a following in the states? I have found it very difficult to find him in print in the UK, apart from French language copies sold as school texts. World Exhausted? I appreciate the tips for writers in this mode, of which I am a fan. All the best Colin