RE: Re: RARA-AVIS: Janwillem Van De Wetering

From: Mark Sullivan ( DJ-Anonyme@webtv.net)
Date: 13 Sep 2001

Mario summed up the appeal of de Wetering, Freeling and Sjowall and Wahloo (along with Constantine and Sallis):

"All of the named authors are excellent. The attitude is more one of observing what's going on, rather than acting. It's a cold kind of fiction, but it has the potential for moving."

This description reminds me of William McIlvanney's three Jack Laidlaw books. They are very gloomy. I think Rankin's Jack Rebus books owe something to them. Laidlaw uses a kind of holistic approach to crimesolving. It is less about following clues and leads than it is about trying to understand how the crime changes the relationships among the people involved.

Mark