RARA-AVIS: Re: RARA-AVIS Digest V3 #871

From: marianne.macdonald@lineone.net
Date: 08 Sep 2001

> I think that's one of the appeals of good hard-boiled
>detective and crime novels -- the ability for the protagonist to move
>from class to class
This is a nice idea - ie worth pondering. But couldn't you equally argue that the most important skill for any successful detective involves her being at the same time both experienced and empathic enough to understand the setting where she has to work, and enough of an outsider not to be seduced by it? Trouble is, if you accept this argument you have to accept Miss Marple. All right, all right, she could be pretty hard...

Yes, Jim Doherty, I too will be at Bouchercon, having a beer and shooting the shit.

Marianne