Re: RARA-AVIS: Cali and quakes

From: Scatalogic@aol.com
Date: 07 Sep 2001

In a message dated 07/09/01 03:27:34 GMT Daylight Time, pruettc@hotmail.com writes:

<< I wonder about the correspondence between the WWII/Cold War era
 and the population shift to California. Maybe if you grew up accepting that
 Europe was in flames or the the Russians could blow you off the face of the
 earth any instant, the relative risk of quakes didn't seem so scary. >> Or that the Americans would blow you off the face of the earth when the Russians came to liberate you from the shackles of international free market capitalism, teehee. Not LA, nor really hardboiled but certainly film noir possibly of some relavance to this discussion especially as regards the cold war. Vienna in the Third Man, a frontier city with lots and lots of possibilities for naughtiness, very wild west in fact. Frontiers/edges/boundaries I think its that meself. Regards Colin