Re: RARA-AVIS: Weegee

From: Mark Sullivan ( DJ-Anonyme@webtv.net)
Date: 05 Sep 2001

Juri wrote:

"There is a band called Naked City, of course after the Jules Dassin movie, which used Weegee's photo of a dead gangster lying on his face on their album cover."

Actually, I'm pretty sure John Zorn named that band (one of about ten he's in) after Weegee's book of that name, in which that photo appeared. The movie and TV show also took their names from the book title (and paid Weegee for the rights).

By the way, that album feaures themes from a bunch of movies, including Chinatown, The Sicilian Clan, A Shot in the Dark, I Want to Live, Contempt and the James Bond Theme. However, don't expect them to sound anything like what you remember. There are also a bunch of originals.

Besides Zorn, the band features Bill Frisell, Wayne Horwitz, Fred Frith, Joey Baron and Yamatsuka Eye. Under his own name, Zorn released an album called Spillane, which is his musical interpretation of that novelist's ouevre.

Mark