RARA-AVIS: Crime Scene Photography

From: Mark Harris ( mark_r_harris@yahoo.com)
Date: 03 Sep 2001

Mark wrote:

> We occasionally talk about other forms of
> hardboiled. Well, when it
> comes to photography, the name of hardboiled is
> Weegee.

On the same theme, Chicago's Terra Museum of American Art put on an excellent exhibition this summer, New York Noir: Crime Photos from the Daily News Archives. Seeing the actual glistening b-and-w prints reinforced the impression that certain of these newspaper photographers were true artists in the matters of camera angles, light exposures, dramatic composition, and so on. There is an accompanying catalogue that reprints all the photographs in the show; however, the brilliance does not always register on the page in the same way. One would hope that some museum of photography could make this a permanent exhibit.

Mark R. Harris