Re: RARA-AVIS: Parker Plunder Squad Query

From: Mark Sullivan ( DJ-Anonyme@webtv.net)
Date: 01 Sep 2001

Repeating the SPOILER ALERT for those who have not read Plunder Squad
(or Butcher's Moon, for that matter).

As Andrew noted, he and I had been discussing this issue privately before he posted it here to get other opinions.

Mark wrote:

"I guess when you are writing a lot of books over time you might lose track of characters unless you are keeping a very careful record.."

I'd be more likely to buy the "just lost track" theory if Mackey hadn't mentioned the Plunder Squad caper upon his entrance in the following book, Butcher's Moon. He tells Brenda that Parker was the guy with whom he did a painting caper the year before. He just doesn't happen to mention that he died at the end of that caper.

And it seems pretty clear that Mackey did die. He takes four bullets through a car window. Then the shooter walks up to check his victim. He then tells his partner that Mackey is dead.

Now Parker is left for dead more than once in the series, but there is always an explanation on how he survived. Not with Mackey, though.

Mark