RARA-AVIS: Bad City Blues

From: Cristoforo ( Cristoforo@mediaone.net)
Date: 29 Aug 2001

Juri wrote:

> do you remember that I said some good words about Tim Willocks's
> "Bad City Blues"? While I still admit I liked it, I think I can't say
> that about Willocks's "Green River Rising". The neo-ultra-hard-boiled
> dick-waving extravaganza got over me. Overwritten is the right word.

Willocks's Bad City Blues maybe a bit overwritten and a tad pretentious, but it had extreme situations and great, edgy characters. Quite memorable.

BTW, the author is a psychiatrist at a British prison as I recall, where, not coincidentally his "Green River Rising" takes place. Although populated with more borderline (and not so borderline) psychopaths, I found GRR less interesting, a little more formulaic in a Hollywood sense. But Bad City Blues is the berries.

Brad