Re: RARA-AVIS: Re: boy/girl/boy/girl & Marlowe

From: Jeanheller@aol.com
Date: 29 Aug 2001

In a message dated 8/29/01 5:06:15 AM, kvnsmith@thrillingdetective.com writes:

<< to simply dismiss Marlowe as some moralizing, racist sexist is to completely misread the character >>

I rather agree with Kevin on this and, for the record, I am of the female persuasion. If you dismiss Marlowe, you have to dismiss Travis, too, and that would be a shame. Why can't we read these wonderful stories in the context of the time in which they were written? Do you think those writing books today know what the standards and conventions will be 50 years from now? Do you think we really care?

Jean Heller