RARA-AVIS: Gores's 5-Star Mystery collection: Mark DJ

From: Todd Mason ( Todd.Mason@tvguide.com)
Date: 27 Aug 2001

Luckily, I came to these Gores stories before becoming a fringe-punk. I must admit I don't remember these stories drowning in slang, but, like much of Robert Bloch's (or most hb) cf, I take the slang as indicative of the period (or, at least, of the perception of the period, sadly too often). TM

-----Original Message----- From: DJ-Anonyme@webtv.net [mailto: DJ-Anonyme@webtv.net]

Ron, the reason I asked about the Gores collection is because I just recently got it. I have only read two stories. I reread Second Coming, which I still think works, hipster language and all. I also read Watch For It, after hearing how good it was. Frankly, I was struck by the same problem you mention, the SDS/hippie/Weathermen, etc. language has not aged well. Which, I guess, means I'm more comfortable with beatnik cool than hippie cool, which shouldn't be too surprising an admission coming from an aging punk.