Re: RARA-AVIS: My Alleged Gender Bigotry

From: Scatalogic@aol.com
Date: 26 Aug 2001

In a message dated 26/08/01 23:10:29 GMT Daylight Time, matrxtech@yahoo.com writes:

<<
 I disagree. Bravery, for example, is considered
 praiseworthy by all societies and cultures, without
 exception.

 <>

 Because he is one; he's the archetype of the "good",
 chivalrous P.I.

 <<He is a hideous character: amoral, motivated entirely
 by financial return and self serving; fair enough. I spose
 that the nature of the genre makes this to a certain extent
 innevitable, however, the idea that he is in any way
 laudable is quite frankly bollocks.>>

 He is not motivated entirely or even primarily by financial
 return; neither is he self-serving. He sticks his neck out
 for what he considers good (or less bad).

Mmmm probably fair comment, and I must admit to a couple of pints before my rant. However, I still think that most hordboiled heroes are not heroic, ok ok I know, anti-heroic they are. I have always considered hardboiled as a critique of a nasty, shitty, unjust society - am I myself nasty, shitty and unjust? I dunno, answers please the night crawls in