RARA-AVIS: Re: RARA-AVIS Johnny Dollar

From: Dixon H. Chandler II ( dchandler@nettally.com)
Date: 24 Aug 2001

>From: "M Blumenthal" < blumenidiot@21stcentury.net>
>I vaguely remember it I think his being an insurance investigator was
>frame so that he could tell what had happened as he went over his
>expenses.

It wasn't exactly a frame. He really WAS investigating cases for insurance companies. The frame narrative showed how Johnny would pad his expense account, an underplayed but effective addition to his cynical nature. Dollar was based in Hartford, Conn., but traveled frequently. The half hour version of the show was so-so, but there was a five night per week version in the middle of the series' run that had excellent stories and direction by Jack Johnstone. Bob Bailey played this version of Johnny, "America's fabulous freelance insurance investigator ... the man with the action-packed expense account." What I've always enjoyed most about the five-night-per-week version (I'm a collector, and there are lots of shows from this period in circulation) is its emphasis on character. Johnny was a hard guy, cynical to a fault, and Bailey's voice work was some of the most effective on radio. The show was the last network show to leave the air, ending in 1962 (the same day Suspense ended its long run).

-dc