Re: RARA-AVIS: Rara-avis Malice ( the Moive) and Immaculate Conception

From: George Upper ( gcupper3@yahoo.com)
Date: 23 Aug 2001

--- David Roye < broye@us.ibm.com> wrote:
> Of course Immaculate Conception is the notion that
> Mary was conceived
> without sin (not sex) and not the fact that Jesus
> was conceived through the
> Holy Ghost (nee Holy Sprirt) without sex. This is
> a basic tenet of
> Catholicism. It is the main difference between
> Catholicism and the
> various Protestant denominations.

I grew up just south of Boston in a predominantly Catholic town and it wasn't until I taught 10th grade history a while back that I learned this fact. I don't find the error too terribly surprising, therefore. Without wishing to engender a religious dispute, what I *do* find surprising is your statement that the Catholic belief in Mary's conception without sin is "the main difference" between Catholics and Protestants. As far as I know, there is no Protestant denomination that believes that Mary was conceived in sin. But even if there were, this difference would be minor compared to others.

Okay. I'll be a good boy and get back on topic now.

I liked Malice, although I haven't seen it in years. Very dark noir piece indeed.

G.

===== George C. Upper III, Editor The Lightning Bell Poetry Journal http://www.lightningbell.org