RARA-AVIS: Peter Whalley

From: Mark Sullivan ( DJ-Anonyme@webtv.net)
Date: 22 Aug 2001

Does anyone know a series by Peter Whalley featuring ex-con turned PI Harry Sommers? I picked up the first, Robbers, today.

It wasn't until I got home and flipped through the beginning of the book that I realized it was set in London. Nowhere is this mentioned on the jacket of the US paperback. No setting is mentioned at all. Being the ugly American that I am, I made the assumption that it was set in the US. But as Samuel Jackson says in The Long Kiss Goodnight, When you make an assumption you make an ass out of U and Umption. Now I don't mind a UK setting, but judging from this cover, publishers must feel it is a liability in non-cosy mysteries.

Anyway, is this series worth reading?

Mark