Re: RARA-AVIS: recent acquisitions

From: JIM DOHERTY ( jimdohertyjr@yahoo.com)
Date: 18 Aug 2001

George,

Re your questions below:

> Is anybody familiar with any of these titles? I
> picked them up for a song at a used paperback sale.
>
> Rafferty: Wrong Place, Wrong Time (W. Glenn Duncan)
> Rafferty's Rules (Duncan)

The Rafferty series is a reasonably well-done, if fairly generic (i.e. 30-is ex-cop operating a one-man PI agency in a large US city, telloing his stories in the first person, etc.), Texas-set PI series. Hero is kind of a cross between Spenser and Mike Hammer with a Lone Star drawl. One of them, I forget which, won a Shamus for best PBO PI novel. *Rafferty's Rules*, the first in the series, has the hero contending with an outlaw fiker gang.

> Shadow of a Tiger (Michael Collins)

Early entry in the always reliable Dan Fortune PI series.

> Also, does anyone have an opinion on the Toff books
> by Creasey?

I like Creasey (or at least I like the Roger West and Gideon books, particularly the Gideons), but the Toff has always left me cold. Too obviously a Saint rip-off, and if I want the Saint, I can always read Leslie Charteris.

JIM DOHERTY