Re: RARA-AVIS: Kiss me Mike, I want you to kiss me...

From: Brian Evankovich ( brianevankovich@hotmail.com)
Date: 17 Aug 2001

I love Mickey Spillane. He's my favorite, as my multiple copies of all his books testify (I'm collecting the different covers). Did not like the movie version of Kiss Me, Deadly, nor did the book really light my fire. I think it's one of Spillane's weaker Hammer books. I know it's sacreligious to say so, but after reading Spillane, Hammett, Chandler and MacDonald seem weaker by comparison. I know all the "literary" arguments in favor of the Hammett/Chandler/MacDonald triumverate, and the "trash" about Spillane, but Spillane just told a better story. Who cares if it wasn't "literary" or have any real lasting significance? I can't put his books down (which, as any working writer will tell you, is the whole point).

Max Allan Collins has several projects in the works about Spillane, anthologies collecting the remainder of his short stories not collected in
"Tomorrow I Die"; also, Spillane's non-fiction work will appear in "Byline: Mickey Spillane". I'm looking forward to both, and hope that Mickey will see the same "resurrection" that Hammett and those other two guys have. --Brian