Re: RARA-AVIS: Re: Andrew Vachss - Burke series

From: Mark Sullivan ( DJ-Anonyme@webtv.net)
Date: 15 Aug 2001

"And to add to the irony, much of Vachss' actual comic work is less cartoonish than his fiction. I think, in fact, that I prefer Burke's short stories. They're less predictable than the Burke series, and he manages to pull some rather clever and nasty tricks on readers."

My sentiments exactly. I barely finished the first Burke, never went on. However, the one-off novel Shella was great. Just as good was the short story collection, Bad Blood, which included a series of linked short stories that was turned into . . .

". . . another mini-series about mercenaries, the title of which escapes me right now."

That would be Cross. According to the info in Bad Blood, the Cross stories were conceived as a series of paperback originals, in the mode of the Executioner. Instead, they became a 7-issue (0-6) comic book mini-series. A pretty good one, too.

Mark