RARA-AVIS: Re: RARA-AVIS To The Ends of the Earth

From: JIM DOHERTY ( jimdohertyjr@yahoo.com)
Date: 14 Aug 2001

Re Dixon's comment below about the Dick Powell cop movie, *To the Ends of the Earth*:

> The plot involved
> poppie smuggling for the production of narcotics.
> Powell played an FBI man,
> or a customs agent, and he chased the bad guys all
> over the world. Most of
> the review books say it was average, but I remember
> it as being teriffic.
> Has anybody ever seen this one?

Actually, the agency Powell's character worked for was the Federal Bureau of Narcotics, the predecessor agency to today's Drug Enforcement Administration. Harry Anslinger, the real-life head of the FBN (and after J.E. Hoover, possibly the most powerful man in federal law enforcement), played himself in the movie.

The review book *Movies on TV* gives it (or at least in some earlier edition *gave* it) the top rating of four stars. I think it was terrific, too.

JIM DOHERTY