Re: RARA-AVIS: the voice of hardboiled

From: Kent Westmoreland (
Date: 13 Aug 2001

I think if Robert Mitchum had played Marlowe at thirty-five he would be the preeminent Marlowe, but alas, we'll never know.

I think THE BIG SLEEP is a freat movie and that Bogart put in a stellar performance. I just don't think he was a good Marlowe.

Here's where I go out on a limb. I think the actor who captured Marlowe best (or my image of Marlowe) was Powers Booth in the HBO series from the early eighties.