Re: RARA-AVIS: Burglar/Scudder

From: William Denton ( buff@pobox.com)
Date: 13 Aug 2001

On 13 August 2001, Carrie Pruett wrote:

: Thanks for the tip. Is there a big advantage to reading the series in
: order, or should I skip straight to "Eight Million"? I'm not a
: read-in-order fanatic, and some of these are hard to find.

I read most of them out of order, and managed to meet every supporting character (Mick Ballou, Elaine, etc.) before they were properly introduced. It didn't hurt the books at all. I read the last five or so in order, and looking back at them all in proper order showed how Block has improved. That's why I'd recommend doing them chronologically, to put yourself in the hands of a very good writer, watch as he hones his craft, and watch as Scudder ages and the regulars change. I'm not a fan of the Burglar books, but the Scudder series is excellent.

Welcome to the list!

Bill