Re: RARA-AVIS: Mike Shayne, WW2, & *Battle Lines*

From: James ( james53@flash.net)
Date: 08 Aug 2001

----- Original Message ----- From: "JIM DOHERTY" < jimdohertyjr@yahoo.com> To: < rara-avis@icomm.ca> Sent: Wednesday, August 08, 2001 5:08 PM Subject: RARA-AVIS: Mike Shayne, WW2, & *Battle Lines*

> Mr. Reasoner mentioned that he enjoyed writing *Battle
> Lines* because, among other things, it gave him a
> chance to write '40s-style dialog.
>
> This nudged an old memory to the forefront. Shortly
> before *MSMM* folded, there was an issue that
> featured, as its cover story, a Mike Shayne yarn that,
> unusually, was set in period.
>
> It took place during the early days of WW2 and, as I
> recall, told the story of the night Mike's wife
> Phyllis died in childbirth (an event that took place
> between books in Halliday's original series).
>
> Was Mr. Reasoner Halliday's "ghost" for this
> particular Shayne short story?
>
> JIM DOHERTY

Yes, that was "Mayhem in the Magic City" in the October 1982 issue, which was a "Crimes in Other Times" theme issue. It was Chuck Fritch's idea to do an issue of historical mysteries. My wife Livia and I had a story in that issue under our own names that was set in ancient Rome. As for my Shayne story, it's my favorite of all the ones I wrote. I think it has some pretty good lines in it.

Best, James