Re: RARA-AVIS: BATTLE LINES: after Doherty and Reasoner

From: James ( james53@flash.net)
Date: 04 Aug 2001

----- Original Message ----- From: "Todd Mason" < Todd.Mason@tvguide.com> To: < rara-avis@icomm.ca> Sent: Friday, August 03, 2001 6:16 PM Subject: RE: RARA-AVIS: BATTLE LINES: after Doherty and Reasoner

> Tor is coming on in this field, war fiction that is...I recently asked for
> review copy of their Stephen Coonts original anthology COMBAT, and they
sent
> me his novel AMERICA instead, which is kind of hard to justify in the
short
> fiction review magazine THE FIX...James, anyone, are you aware of any
other
> upcoming orig wf anthos...for that matter, is anyone here contributing to
or
> reading them? TM

Berkley has done a couple of paperback original anthologies edited by Martin Greenberg, FIRST TO FIGHT and FIRST TO FIGHT, VOL. 2. I haven't read either one, but they look fairly interesting with stories by Coonts, James H. Cobb
(the only techno-thriller writer I read regularly), William Keith, and others I can't remember right now. I don't have a story in either of these.

But I do have one in A DAY THAT WILL LIFE IN INFAMY, a Pearl Harbor anthology coming out this fall from Cumberland House. The catch is that it's an anthology of alternate history stories, rather than regular war fiction. To keep this from straying any farther off-topic, I should mention that my story is a private eye yarn about a seedy Honolulu PI and his part-time assistant, a taxi driver/stand-up comic/emcee in a Hotel Street strip joint. I wouldn't say that it's hardboiled, but it's at least in the neighborhood.

Those are the only other war fiction anthologies I can think of.

Best, James